Friday, December 28, 2012

Cynics Anonymous

Two years ago I went to my aunt and uncle's house outside of Philly. They are upper middle class, intimidating, nice-looking people that tend to make me feel less than I am.

I find that when I become insecure (and I was extremely insecure at that time) I become cynical, sarcastic, and defensive. I'm sure my younger self believed I was being cool, but I've come to dislike the aloof, gloomy personalities that roam the earth. My great cousins that I looked up to weren't able to like me; and it's my fault because of my snarky facade.

Imagine terribly dry, utterly stupid side comments from an unathletic person to an athletic person during a game of ping-pong. Yeah. That bad.

In my first post you probably saw that I really did seem to look downwards. Maybe a part of me favors dark humor, or was trying to show humility. Truth is, I don't know who I am, and I'm sure I never truly will. That's not a bad thing, and acceptance is what I've come to. However, I feel like like giving people a bad impression of yourself when there is so much more is not worth it. Everyone deserves to know just how bright a ray of sunshine you are.

I get to see my cousins again this Sunday. I am such a different person now, and I feel a lot more aware of my surroundings. It will be a brief meeting, but totally worth it because of how I am able to handle myself. Others say that no one's opinions matter but your own. I adhere more to "each person is responsible for how the world sees them".  Opinions do matter; you can just let them help you or harm you.

Let them help! Because honestly . . . they do.

(If I use "I" too much, sorry, working on that)

No comments:

Post a Comment